Making models out of foam board is easy when you have the right tools and techniques.
The videos below show the basic process of building a scale model of a house working from a basic design.
The materials used to create the model include:
- 3mm Self-adhesive foam board
- 3mm Plain White foam board
- 5mm Self-adhesive foam board
- 5mm Plain White foam board
- Neschen Filmoplast P90 Tape
- 6mm Kikisui Double Sided Tape
- Stainless Steel Dressmaker’s Pins
There are other materials that are used but these will be covered in the videos.
If you are in Australia you can get the Foamwerks tools directly from our store.
If you are outside of Australia the tools are available below.
The main tools used include:
- Foamwerks Straight/Bevel Cutter
- Foamwerks Straight Cutter
- Foamwerks Rabbet Cutter
- Foamwerks Hole Drill
- Foamwerks Circle Cutter (1-6 inch)
- Channel Rail
My favorite model making books
In the first video the plan has been mounted to the 3mm self adhesive board. I previously printed the plan on a synthetic matt paper using an Epson wide-format Inkjet printer. You could print the floor plan on separate A4 pieces of paper and tile them onto the adhesive board or you can draw the design straight onto the foam board.
You can watch these videos on youtube along with others we’ve published on the foamboards channel.